Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Day Eating Advice

Hi!

I have had a few folks ask me what my plan is for Thanksgiving when it comes to eating. Well, I'm going to enjoy myself but not go crazy. I will also make sure that I'm not starving when it's time for the big meal!

I asked my fitness "guru" - Jimmy Page to give me some tips for staying on track this weekend. Here are Jimmy's steps to a great Thanksgiving:

1. Eat a good breakfast - omelette w/veges, fresh fruit, coffee
2. Eat a healthy lunch (depending on when you eat the Thanksgiving meal) - Tuna sandwich on whole grain with an apple. OR a good snack (munch on fresh vegetables as you wait for the meal) so you are not too hungry for the big meal.
3. Serve yourself on a smaller plate (9 inches).
4. Avoid a second helping until 3 hours later (left-overs)
5. Eat a little bit of everything that you like - don't totally deprive yourself.
6. Go easy on the gravy, mashed potatoes, and stuffing
7. Eat a small slice of your favorite pie instead of a "wedge"
8. Eat slowly - talk more to your family!!
9. Eat the turkey and veggies first, then the potatoes or stuffing.
10. Drink a large glass of water 20 minutes before you eat.

Decide what you will do before you go in!

Bonus Tip: Exercise in the morning (early so it doesn't get in the way) AND go for a long walk after you eat!!

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember that the day is about Family, Friends and giving Thanks to God...not about food!

Live Well, Live Healthy!

Mike

2 comments:

Mama D said...

Hey Mike,
I heard you and Tracey talking about your Smackdown Challenge this morning on the radio as I was headed to the gym for my daily workout. I was Praising the Lord to hear that you have finally bitten the bullet and are doing something about your weight. For the sake of your health and being on this Earth longer for the sake of your family and your listeners! Out of curiosity and per Tracy's advice I came to the WRBS site and checked out your blog! Kudos to you! My dear sweet Step-sister has lost over 200 lbs. in the past couple of years and has been an inspiration to me... now I can add you and Tracey to that list! God bless you in your endeavors! And I'm also wondering if we'll still see you at the ODC in Bel Air once in awhile??? :)
Keep up the great work!
Sherry

taralynn819 said...

I skipped the mashed potatoes entirely! That's the stuff that always makes me feel lucky full!

Now as for those desserts...